Skip to main content

Beacon Senior News

Save money while saving the planet

Mar 25, 2020 03:14PM ● By Karen Telleen-Lawton

I’ve prided myself on how little my family tosses into the trash compared to our recycling bin, following the rules on the lid. We pack cloth grocery bags, reuse and recycle plastic bags, and often remember to bring our own reusable plastic containers for restaurant leftovers. Our pantry contains more glass than plastic food containers, and we use bar soap to spare the earth yet one more source of plastic.

I figure it’s a win-win: I save money buying less packaging material, and the earth is saved a little plastic.

But my pride took a major hit when our local trash hauler and recycler’s new recycling rules came out recently. Forget the little numbers in the triangle on plastic containers. Plastics are no longer recycled, except for caps-on empty beverage bottles, rigid plastic greater than six inches, empty laundry detergent bottles, plastic flower pots, trays and toys, and large plastic tubs and buckets.

Plastic oceans

Apparently the recycling story we told ourselves for decades was not really working, at least not anymore. Evidence has been piling up literally for years about gyres of ocean garbage. It was back in 1997 that these gyres, composed mostly of microplastics, were first discovered.

China and other Asian countries are no longer willing to take our recycling or garbage.

Since 45 percent of the garbage gyre is said to originate from Asia, it seems likely that we paid to ship our trash halfway across the world, and it’s slowly making its way back.

Actually, it’s long since arrived. Scripps oceanographer Jennifer Brandon and her co-authors recently analyzed a core of sediment excavated from a mile off the U.S. West Coast.

Since the 1940s, the quantity of microplastic in each sediment layer has doubled every 15 years.

Brandon’s core sample doesn’t try to analyze the plastics’ origin, but other studies indicate that 80 percent of microplastics in the ocean gyres comes from land-based activities: tipped or animal-raided trash cans, streets and landfills. The trash may not have been littered originally, but has since blown or strewn into rivers, sewers or the ocean. The other 20 percent are ship-based items that were thrown or lost overboard.

Despite efforts so far, it’s still arriving from points far and near. Texans Linda Maraniss and Kathy O’Hara began an international clean-up day over 30 years ago, based on work they’d done for the Ocean Conservancy. Last fall’s Annual International Coastal Cleanup Day involved over a million volunteers covering 22,301 miles to gather 23,333,816 pounds of trash. The top trash item is always cigarette butts, with over 5 million butts picked up in the 2019 clean up.

The problem with recycling

All this hit home for me when I had to toss no. 1 and no. 2 plastic food containers into the trash. My kitchen trash was full, but I still had one more day before the weekly trash collection. I called the recycling company about the new rules.

In American cities and towns all over the country, new rules reflect what trash haulers can sell now for reuse in making recycled consumer products. That is, if they can’t make money on recycling, then it’s trash. Which is logical.

Part of the problem with recycling is food contamination and the difficulty of separating mixed articles like wax-coated cardboard. An important factor is that products made from recycled materials are not as strong and thus can’t be re-recycled.

I’ve come to the realization that much of what we thought we spared from landfill, we weren’t. Handwringing aside, what are we to do?

Reusing packaging saves money

reusable bag saves recycling

On an individual level, the solution is straightforward: Make less trash. We need to provide our own reusable containers as much as possible for groceries, restaurant take-out, and all purchases. When we toss something into the trash, we need to consider that it might end up in the ocean. The good news is that reducing and reusing packaging also saves us money.

Finally, we need to demand more (i.e. less plastic) from businesses. If consumers demand it, businesses will rethink ways to package and will devise ways to reduce plastics in products and packaging.

It’s not just the packaging, however. The market system, in its zeal to increase demand, works against the environment by encouraging ever-increasing consumption. Governments instead need to incentivize products that are environmental “goods” and penalize products that add to the waste stream. This not only reduces the strain on the environment but also saves businesses money.

Here are a few advertising slogans to get us started:

• “Buy in bulk from bins.”

• “Brag about bringing bags.”

• “No package? No problem.”