GingersnapsDec 05, 2017 11:55PM ● By Guest
Reprinted with permission from the American Institute for Cancer Research
Yield: 24 cookies
Ingredients3/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1 1/4tsp. ground ginger 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 1/4 tsp. salt 1/3 cup dairy-free butter shortening sticks 1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 Tbsp., divided 2 Tbsp. unsulphured molasses 1 large egg white
Instructions[checklist-box title="" extraTitle="" extraUrl=""]
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In mixing bowl, whisk flours, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, pepper and salt.
- In separate bowl, use electric mixer on medium-high to beat shortening sticks with 1/2 cup sugar for two minutes. Add molasses and egg white; beat three minutes. Set mixer on low speed and mix in dry ingredients to combine. Don’t overmix. Batter will form soft ball.
- Place remaining sugar in wide, shallow bowl. Pinch about one tablespoon of batter and roll it between your palms, forming 1-inch ball. Place ball in bowl with sugar and roll to coat, then place on light-colored, ungreased baking sheet. Repeat, spacing balls 2 inches apart. Discard leftover sugar. Using bottom of a glass, press to flatten each ball into 1-by-3-inch disks.
- Bake 10 minutes.[/checklist-box] Note: Can be stored in cookie tin up to one week